Richard Cohen on Racism: Not a Problem!

Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen uses theFrank Ricci Supreme Court case to attack affirmative action:

The justification for affirmative action gets weaker and weaker. Maybe once it was possible to argue that some innocent people had to suffer in the name of progress, but a glance at the White House strongly suggests that things have changed. For most Americans, race has become supremely irrelevant. Everyone knows this. Every poll shows this. Maybe the Supreme Court will recognize this.

First of all, affirmative action was never solely about racism–though the media have long made race their primary consideration in how they talk about the issue.

But to Cohen’s actual, umm, “point”: Every poll shows that race is irrelevant? Too bad for Cohen that the Washington Post recently asked people about this in a poll (1/13-16/09):

“How big a problem is racism in our society today? Is it a big problem, somewhat of a problem, a small problem or not a problem at all?”

A Big Problem: 26%
Somewhat of a Problem: 48%
A Small Problem: 22%
Not a Problem: 4%

Richard Cohen appears to be in the 4 percent who don’t think that racism is at all a problem anymore. The other 96 percent of us wish him luck in his journey back to the real world.

About Peter Hart

Activism Director and and Co-producer of CounterSpinPeter Hart is the activism director at FAIR. He writes for FAIR's magazine Extra! and is also a co-host and producer of FAIR's syndicated radio show CounterSpin. He is the author of The Oh Really? Factor: Unspinning Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly (Seven Stories Press, 2003). Hart has been interviewed by a number of media outlets, including NBC Nightly News, Fox News Channel's O'Reilly Factor, the Los Angeles Times, Newsday and the Associated Press. He has also appeared on Showtime and in the movie Outfoxed. Follow Peter on Twitter at @peterfhart.