To hear US corporate media tell it, the US was dragged into a brand new war on Wednesday.
US destroyers in the Gulf of Aden launched airstrikes against Houthi rebels, a Shia insurgent group currently withstanding a massive bombing campaign from a Saudi-led coalition in a year-and-half conflict between largely Shia rebels and the Saudi-backed Sunni government in Yemen. The Pentagon insisted that cruise missiles had been fired onto the USS Mason on Sunday and Wednesday from Houthi-controlled territory, and called the airstrikes a “limited self-defense” response.
Needless to say, US media followed the Pentagon’s lead. The fact that the United States has been literally fueling Saudi warplanes for 18 months while selling weapons and providing intelligence support to the Gulf monarchy—acts which even the US State Department believes could expose the US to war crimes prosecution—was either downplayed or ignored. Nor did media recall the US’s long history of drone warfare in Yemen, where the military and CIA have been carrying out long-range assassinations since 2002, killing more than 500 people, including at least 65 civilians.

A video accompanying the New York Times story on the Yemen bombing (10/12/16) presents as fact the claim that Houthi rebels attacked a US ship—though the rebels deny this, and even the Pentagon says it does not know for sure.
So far, most print media reporting has at least bothered to briefly put the attack and counterattack in broader context, noting the US role in the brutal bombing campaign that has left over 4,000 dead, including over 140 bombed at a funeral in Sana’a last week—even as the stories’ framing downplayed the US’s history in the conflict. The New York Times (10/12/16), for example, said in the second paragraph of its report on the airstrikes (emphasis added):
The strikes against the Houthi rebels marked the first time the United States has become involved militarily in the civil war between the Houthis, an indigenous Shiite group with loose connections to Iran, and the Yemeni government, which is backed by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni nations.
But the Times story went on to acknowledge, somewhat contradictorily, that the US had been “quietly providing military support to a Saudi Arabia-led bombing campaign against the rebels since last year.” The story noted that the US had been
providing intelligence and Air Force tankers to refuel the coalition’s jets and bombers. The American military has refueled more than 5,700 aircraft involved in the bombing campaign…. More than 4,000 civilians have been killed since the bombing began, according to the United Nations’ top human rights official.
TV news reports, on the other hand, kept the spin and left out the context. They mostly failed to mention that the US has been assisting the Saudi assault on the Houthi rebels for a year and a half, and framed the incident as a US warship being attacked while simply minding its own business in international waters.
CBS’s David Martin, fresh off his 14-minute Pentagon commercial last month, didn’t mention the Saudi bombing campaign or explain the US’s role in the war for his segment for CBS This Morning (10/13/16). In fact, Martin never uttered the word “Saudi” or named any of the other countries involved in Yemen, only noting that the rebels are “trying to overthrow the government.” The average viewer would come away thinking the US Navy ship just happened to be in the neighborhood when it was randomly fired upon.

ABC‘s Martha Raddatz reports on US intervention in Yemen without using the words “Saudi” or “Arabia.”
ABC’s Martha Raddatz (Good Morning America, 10/13/16) likewise didn’t inform the viewer that the US has been a party to the civil war for 18 months. She also never used the word “Saudi” or referred to the brutal bombing campaign; she barely even alluded to there being a conflict at all.
CNN’s Barbara Starr (CNN, 10/13/16) joined the club, omitting the US and Saudi roles in the conflict entirely. She went one step further and repeatedly speculated about “direct” Iranian involvement in the Mason attack and what that would entail, despite there being zero evidence and no suggestion from the Pentagon of Iranian participation. Starr even conflated Al Qaeda and Iran, despite their being on opposite sides of the conflict:
The Yemeni missiles were fairly old but had been outfitted with highly lethal warheads, the kind Al Qaeda and Iran know how to make.
The implication was that Al Qaeda might have somehow provided Houthi rebels with missiles, but this, of course, is absurd: The Houthis and Al Qaeda are sectarian enemies and have been fighting each other throughout the civil war. Never mind; Starr needed to raise the stakes and throw out as many boogeymen as she could.
MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow (10/13/16) delivered the worst of the batch. Not only did she too omit the Saudi bombing campaign and the US’s role in it (again, leaving the viewer to believe the attack was a total non sequitur), she spun the issue in tedious partisan terms, recalling Trump’s statement he would attack Iranian warships that threatened the US:
You might remember Republican candidate Donald Trump said in an off-handed remark during the campaign that if Iranian ships got too close to American ships and if Iranian sailors made rude gestures towards our American sailors under President Trump, we’d blow those Iranian ships out of the water. Well, Iranian ships and American ships are now in the same waters, off the coast of Yemen in the middle of war, with Tomahawk missiles and cruise missiles already flying. Steady on.
Why are American ships in those waters? Why are Tomahawk missiles “flying”? The conflict is never explained; it’s only brought up so that Maddow can warn that the GOP nominee could make things worse. Of course, it isn’t Trump who backed the Saudis in an air campaign that’s left thousands dead, but Obama—and it’s Hillary Clinton who as secretary of State enthusiastically pushed to sell warplanes to Riyadh (The Intercept, 2/22/16). But such facts would messy up the election-season narrative.
Maddow, like the other reports, used the loaded modifier “Iran-backed” to describe the Houthis (even though experts and Pentagon officials think Iran’s support is overblown). This is a stark asymmetry, considering that none of the reports referred to the Yemeni government as “US-backed” or “Saudi-backed.” She also said that the Navy blamed the attacks on the Houthis, when the Pentagon only claims the missiles came from rebel territory, and could very well be from other allied groups (New York Times, 10/13/16).
Not only is the US’s backing of Saudi Arabia omitted from all these reports, the word “Saudi” isn’t uttered in any of them. The viewer is given the impression that the war, aside from Iranian meddling, is an entirely internal affair—when it actually involves over 15 different countries, mostly Sunni monarchies propping up the Yemeni government—and that the rebels just randomly decided to pick a fight with the largest military in the history of the world.
The Houthis, for their part, vehemently deny having carried out the attack on the Mason, and there is no publicly available evidence it was them or allied forces. It should be noted, however, that Houthi forces took credit for sinking a United Arab Emirates supply ship two weeks earlier.
As is often the case with war, the issue of “first blood”—or who started the fighting—gets muddied. Governments naturally want global audiences and their own citizens to view their actions as defensive—a necessary response to aggression, not aggression itself. US corporate media are aiding this official spin in their reporting on the US bombing of Yemen.
Adam Johnson is a contributing analyst for FAIR.org. You can follow him on Twitter at @AdamJohnsonNYC.
There is a petition at MoveOn.org calling on the New York Times to acknowledge that US military involvement in Yemen long predated the recent missile strikes.







Perhaps in fueling Saudi warplanes, the US could slip astronomical amounts of subsidized sugar into the tanks. After all, Uncle Sam is a sugar daddy to so many countries. It could be a reprieve for bombed-out citizens of Yemen who have been subject to weapons made in America.
Another Tonkin to toy with?
No! Take our toys and go home. Sound retreat!
2016 is the year when every day found oneself reaching the bottom of the barrel as regards the levels of professional integrity and ethics throughout the fabric of public life, including reportage–365 new lows.
A record!
We’re #1!
US once again starting new War, Its just try to take over on Fuel. Everyday US starting new war.
Every day??? When YOU exagerate like the rats in the Media do, YOU are no better than them, with your little beard and all. So you wear an Islamic beard and WESTERN CLOTHES……….where’s your sheets Liar???
Really? An expression which captures the essence if not the literal reality of the US military imperium is enough for you to make a biased slur over someone you know next to nothing about save the photo?
Another war for Obama. What is this 30? There are so many that a new one isn’t news. It is a false flag which has been used by USA in the Korean war, the Vietnam war, the Iraq war, Afghanistan, Syria, Ukraine and now Yemen.
You would think US citizens would catch on to the lies fed in order to have people willing to sacrifice health, education and honor to justify America’s wars used to transfer your money to the elite.
i am willing to concede my inability to change this but how about a compromise. just give the money to the elite directly and stop the killing and destruction. We would save lives, time and not be hated by most people on earth.
Paul Newman has a very simple explanation, a profound thought expressed in his movie The Hustler:
“Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.”
What would Hillary do?
Talk like a progressive for peace, then more of the same.
What would Trump do?
Brag about it, then more of the same.
What would Jill Stein do?
actually stop it.
Now, either we are the most naïve and gullible society on earth, or the most greed-driven and selfish people that ever cursed the earth.
So, as most educated Americans have an illusion that they deserve to be rich, as most college educated Americans see nothing wrong with them owning all the land and thereby holding all the political power, why don’t we nationalize everyone’s excessive wealth, nationalize all personal property above what is needed to enjoy a comfortable life?
Anyway, lets try it for four years and see what happens.
Come on, John. The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty, it’s all the way to the top. By which I mean, we are not only the most naïve and gullible society on earth, but the most greed-driven and selfish people that ever cursed the earth, as well! No country has had the military and technological skills to end all life on earth at the same time it spreads its neo-liberal disease across the planet, while expropriating the resources of the other lands and peoples.
An even better argument for your proposal to nationalize all personal property. You’ve got my vote.
Wow actual smart people. But I think you guys are going a little to far.
There should be a 250,000 a year income limit with 99% marginal tax rate beyond that (I would prefer 50,000 limit but I am being generous to the greedy people).
Capitalism is a good base to start. Then you put hard limits and regulations so greed can be controlled and put the tax burden on big business and top earners so that everyone has a chance to succeed.
By the way, during the golden years of the USA (The time the entire world was trying to enter the USA, copy the USA and dreaming about living in the USA), the marginal tax rate was 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The US govt, betraying Americans, is blatantly helping the terrorists who attacked us on 911.
They used to call that TREASON. Now you get a nobel prize, made useless by Hussain Obama.
Bombing seven countries, most of which pose no direct threat to the “homeland'” should make the Nobel Committee take back the Peace Prize it awarded to Mr. Obama.
Too latefor that jay, Nobel’s Prize is useless and worthless after they gave it to Hussain Obama just because he looks Black.
Absolutely! The U.S. Government has ” historically” played this “knight in shining armor” routine to trick the people into thinking the US isn’t the aggressor! Thats old game that I’m ” surprised” the average U. S. citizen hasn’t peeped (seen), for themselves!
Reuters is reporting that the US is not even sure that the Mason was fired upon:
Pentagon voices caution on latest Yemen missile incident
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-usa-idUSKBN12H284
You’d think that a nation concerned about it’s international reputation and the potential to be prosecuted for war crimes might actually settle the question of whether there is solid evidence that they have been attacked before “retaliating.”
*cough* gulf of tonkin *cough, cough* weapons of mass destruction are around here somewhere…
Another mistake on the part of the military ,read Washington ,perhaps.
Is there an underground factory somewhere where they pump out these evil Killary clones like in the terminator?